Arabic Level 1 Plus Course Description
How long does the course last?
Lessons take place one a week and last 1.5 hours each. This gives a total of 45 hours tuition.
Who is the course for?
The course is aimed at a wide range of students with a general interest in Arabic with the following:
- finished our Level 1 course or finished 2/3 of our Level 1 course or equivalent
- a pass at GCSE/O level obtained more than four years ago
- a recent GCSE/O level grade C or below
What are the objectives of the course?
To improve and consolidate knowledge of grammar and vocabulary acquired previously and to achieve the equivalent of A1 level of the CEFR entry level of the NQF
By the end of the course you will
- be able to communicate effectively in everyday life situations, including using greetings, talking about daily activities, finding your way, telling the time and date, making purchases, ordering a meal, booking a hotel, etc.
- be able to understand simple oral passages and written texts and infer specific information from simple texts
- have developed basic writing skills
- have developed an insight into Arab-speaking life, culture and society
How is the course taught?
- A communicative approach is used. All four skills (speaking, reading, listening and writing) are practiced.
- Students engage in interactive language activities, participating in group and pair work according to a syllabus based on systematic grammatical progression.
- Students will also be offered guidance in self-study and be set optional homework tasks
What sort of Arabic do you teach?
We teach Modern Standard Arabic (written) and the educated spoken variety (an example of this is the Arabic as spoken on Al Jazeera satellite channel).
What course can I do next?
After completing the Level 1 Plus, students should be able to join a Level 2 or Level 3 class. Students should consult their tutor, who will be able to advise them on the best level to proceed to.
- Wightwick, J. & Gaafar, M. (2007) Mastering Arabic 1, Second Edition w/2 CDs. Palgrave
- Wightwick, J. & Gaafar, M. (2009) Master Arabic 2 w/2 CDs, Palgrave
- Wightwick, J. & Gaafar, M. (2005) Mastering Arabic Script, Palgrave
- Wightwick, J. & Gaafar, M. (2005) Mastering Arabic Grammar, Palgrave
- Wightwick, J. & Gaafar, M. (2012) Read and Speak Arabic, G and W Publishing